Monday, January 21, 2013

Spicy Enchiladas

I am a huge Enchilada fan. I love Mexican food and so does my husband. My kids just don't know what's good and they don't like anything but popcorn chicken so their opinion doesn't count in this.

The original recipe calls for avocado and I am not a fan so I skipped that and I really ended up changing a lot of the recipe. So my version is below and the original version is linked below if any one is interested.

Please excuse the crappy pictures. It gets really dark in Belgium early and the lighting in the house is not the greatest. Really looking forward to moving to the states where our next house is going to have impeccable lighting I am making sure of it.

Bonus! The left overs heat up really well and taste amazing.

 photo jan5010_zpsb84340f9.jpg

This bad boy has a pound of cheese! When I say it is amazing, please believe me haha!

 photo jan5009_zps742a035c.jpg

Spicy Enchiladas my recipe
Inspired from The Novice Chef's Spicy Avocado Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:

for the sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
1 Jalapeno pepper, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red or green pepper, minced
2 tbsps flour
1 1/4 cup chicken stock
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 cup medium salsa
1/2 cup fat free sour cream or greek yogurt

for the enchiladas:
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
1 lb Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
1 small yellow onion, chopped
8-10 flour tortillas

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375

2. Heat the butter on high in a sauce pan. Then saute garlic & both kinds of peppers for a minute. Then add the flour and stir constantly for about 2 mins. Then add in your chicken stock, cumin, salt, & pepper and bring to a boil. Gently stir in salsa and sour cream or greek yogurt.

3. Pour a little sauce in the bottom of the pan about 1/2 cup. I don't like my Enchiladas super saucy so you could put a little more if you like.

4. Fill your tortillas with chicken, cheese, & onion (you can omit if you don't like onion). Place in the pan and continue on until pan is full. Then pour as much or as little of the sauce as you like on top of the filled tortillas then use whatever cheese you have left and put on top and bake for 20 mins.

For the best results DO NOT buy bag cheese! Buy the cheese in blocks and shred yourself. It always melts the best. Enjoy the cheesy goodness! It pairs well with chips and salsa or a salad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment