Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken & Noodles

We all have them, those days where you don't have enough arms, legs, time, etc. etc. You need to feed the family a savory & filling meal. I use my crock pot all the time. I think next to my food processor it's my most used appliance. I could go on and on about my crock pot. It's true love I tell ya.

Today was one of those days. The husband had a huge meeting and my youngest son had a doctor appointment. Basically we left house at 10 and didn't get home until 4. So before I left the house I threw this easy, delicious meal in the crockpot. It was well worth the few extra steps I went through!

Excuse the crappy lighting in my house. We don't get a lot of natural light in the house and lets face it, the weather in Belgium is most of the time cloudy and rainy.


Photobucket

Excuse all my cheese =P

Original recipe found at Eat your heart out


Ingredients:

4 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
½ teaspoons Black Pepper
1 cup Chicken Broth
1 cup Low Fat Milk
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 teaspoon Sugar
½ teaspoons (heaping) Garlic Powder
½ cups Reduced Fat Sour Cream
½ cups Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
¼ cups Flour

Directions:

Cut the chicken into strips or bite-size chunks. Place in the bottom of the slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and pepper.

In a medium-sized bowl whisk together chicken broth, milk, cornstarch, sugar and garlic powder. Pour over the chicken.

Cover the crockpot and cook on high heat for 3-4 hours or low heat for 7-8 hours.

Then, in a separate bowl, combine sour cream, Greek yogurt and flour until smooth. Stir this into the cooked chicken mixture and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes until thickened.

Taste for seasoning, adding more salt as necessary. Serve hot over egg noodles or even rice.

* You can use all sour cream or even all Greek yogurt instead of halving them if you prefer.

* You can add veggies in this like peas, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, whatever floats your boat. We just paired our dinner with a salad and called it good.

** I did something almost totally different with this recipe. When it came time to mix the sourcream/yogurt mixture, I put it all in a big pot on the stove and let it boil for a bit to make it less watery. It came out fantastic and really incorporated everything together nicely. If you want to do this, this is the time I would add any veggies and let simmer for about 20 mins **

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so yummy *drool*

    PS - I nominated you for the Liebster Award! For more details, check out my post at: http://swtiine.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete